People in big cities can enjoy gardening in various ways. If you also long for an indoor vegetable garden but don’t know how to start it, this guide will help you to DIY your garden with LED grow light strips in the following aspects:
What to grow
Where to grow
You will learn how to bring the garden inside with this guide.
what to grow
Choosing plants that are suitable for indoor planting will help you get a good and easy start no matter in growing ornamental plants or vegetables. We have talked about ornamental plan that suitable for indoor plants in how to plant orchids indoor. While in terms of veggies, those that are convenient to care and less tolerant of poor external conditions are the best option, for example:
- Lettuce: lettuce is one of the most popular vegetables people choose to grow indoor because it is a quick harvest variety, and you can even harvest it for several times. But when it is too cold, you will find it hard to grow anything, let alone lettuce. But lettuce is easy to care. It only needs sunlight for 5-6 hours a day. So growing lettuce indoor you can harvest it all year round.
- Pepper: we recommend smaller-fruited peppers as they can withstand harsh environment. So if you would like to witness a more satisfying harvest, choose small-fruited peppers. But they need at least 6-8 hours of sunlight per day. You will need to consider a grow light for indoor plant if you don’t have a south-facing window or balcony. Full spectrum white led grow light strip or a sun-like quantum board grow light, or a grow light bulb are less eye-catching options for home use.
- Tomato: it’s easy for tomato to start the seedlings, and they need only 4-5 hours of sunlight everyday. But cold weather will beat them done, so tomato is another veggie that also loves indoor gardens. You can see here on how to care tomato and planting tomato indoor with WEEGrow grow light bulbs.
Containers can be divided into three types in size:
Large：more than 25 inches in depth
Medium：18-25 inches in depth
Small：less than 18 inches in depth
Large containers fit for vegetables that are deeply-rooted, such as tomatoes, squash, and beans. Medium size are for peppers and carrots. While lettuce and celery can just be planted in small containers.
There are also various shapes to tailored different needs: freestanding containers, vertical planters and hanging containers.
- Freestanding containers: Freestanding containers with drainage holes are much preferred. Drainage hole can not only provide good drainage but also improve air flowing in the soil. You will get various of choices if searching freestanding containers on the internet, but keep in mind that choose those have drainage holes with a plate.
- Vertical planter : A vertical planter looks like a chair. It is perfect for small scale vertical planting. You can plant different herbs or vegetables with the steps.
- Hanging container : Saving spaces and creating a relaxing zone is what you can benefit from using hanging containers. But hanging containers are usually small, you will need to grow veggies that don’t need big space to take roots.
Where to grow
How to build a garden if I don’t have a large space? The answer is — anywhere in your home!
- Kitchen : You can DIY a small wall garden in your kitchen through planting shallow rooting vegetables in several small hanging containers next to a big window. Wouldn’t it be a wonderful thing to cut some celery or lettuce right in the kitchen when you are going to make a bowl of salad?
- Living room : Vegetable garden is more than a food provider, it can also be a delightful focal point in your living room. Companion planting can be achieved in this case. Shallow rooting vegetables in small freestanding containers accompanied with tall vine plants in big pots can bring you both healthy veggies and a natural mood.
But if it is hard to build an indoor garden in the above spaces due to imitations of one kind or another, you can try a moveable garden on a moveable shelf or cart for home use.
Light may be not enough for the plants in the middle or bottom shelves. But you don’t have to be afraid of growing unhealthy vegetables in such moveable gardens. Because you can use one or two led grow light strips to fix this problem. LED grow light strips for growing plants are designed to offer enough light for plants growing in shelves.
Take WEEGrow full spectrum led grow light strip as an example, this led grow light strips comes in 13.2inches lengths (each strip) to attach to any shelf that you may have at home. This light strip is IP44, so you don’t need to worry about that they would become defective when watering plants.
But what makes it the best led grow strip light is its multifunctional design. You can set the exact times to light up your different veggies planting in different shelves, and set the light on and off automatically. This full spectrum led grow light strip is totally a good helper in easing your grow life!
Our grow light strips are on promotion, if you are interested in it, click here : WEEGrow grow light strip and get it home fast!