Many people do not know the difference between hydroponics and soil cultivation. The biggest difference between them lies in the different materials for planting. Hydroponics is a new type of soilless plant cultivation method, it is mainly rely on the nutrient solution to provide water, nutrients, oxygen and other materials for plants. Soil cultivation is a method of planting plants with soil, and the suitable soil should be prepared according to the habits of your plants. Taking the planting of scindapsus as an example, let me introduce some precautions for hydroponics and soil cultivation of this houseplant.
How to do
How to do
How to do
The requirements of soil cultivation are relatively high, and there are many processes. There are certain requirements for soil, water, light and so on.
Soil：potted scindapsus should choose fertile, loose, good-draining leaf-mold, and it is best to use acidic soil.
Light: the origin of scindapsus is in the forest-covered by towering trees, and the sun is not strong. But, in autumn and winter, in order to supplement the lack of temperature and photosynthesis, people will use LED full spectrum grow lights to supplement their plants. For this kind of small indoor plant, I recommend WEEGrow LED full spectrum grow lights CS-100. The LED full spectrum grow lights have four light heads, you can adjust their position at will, and you can also use 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 light heads according to the light demand of your plants, which is very convenient. It also has a timing function, you can set the specific time as your plants need. Besides, if the temperature is low, windows should be opened as few as possible to prevent leaves from frostbite.
Water: For soil cultivation, it is necessary to water the soil every day to keep the soil moist, but do not accumulate water and cause mosquito breeding. The amount of watering in autumn and winter should be strictly controlled according to the room temperature. When the temperature is low, the soil evaporation of plants is slow. You should control the amount of water (between 1 / 4 and 1 / 2 of the origin). If the temperature is high, watering also should not be too frequent. The water should not be directly poured into the pot, and it should leak from the brown silk. Besides, it is better to use the water that has been dried for one day in winter, because the water is too cold to damage the roots of plants.
Temperature: Under normal circumstances, if the room temperature is above 10°C, scindapsus can safely survive in winter. If the room temperature is above 20°C, scindapsus can grow normally. It is not a big problem for ordinary families to reach this temperature. What they need to pay attention to is to avoid excessive temperature differences. At the same time, you should pay attention to the location of plants and keep away from heating equipment.
Humidity: humidity refers to the moisture content of the air in the plant growth environment. Under the condition of ensuring normal temperature, increasing humidity is extremely beneficial to the growth of plants. The following methods can be used to increase humidity.
- Keep your plants close to the humidifier, and your plants can enjoy the spray of the humidifier. The humidifier can open more than 5 hours a day.
- Use sprayers to spray water on the leaves, stems and roots of your on plants several times a day.
- Keep the proper amount of water in the flower pot, and it will increase the local humidity of plants through its evaporation.
- Wipe the surface of the leaves with a cold wet towel or toilet paper, or apply the surface of the leaves in a short time (1-2 hours a day).
- Cover plants with a transparent plastic film to create the effect of a small greenhouse. By evaporating the moisture in the soil to supplement the water of your plants, but no more than 2 hours a day. If the time is too long, the ventilation and Photosynthesis of plants will be affected.
Fertilization: In autumn and winter, many plants grow slowly or even stop growing, so fertilization should be reduced. Before winter, you should spray liquid inorganic fertilizer, and the time is about once every 15 days. In winter, the fertilizer is mainly sprayed through the stomata on the leaf surface, and the plants are absorbed through the stomata on the leaf surface. The fertilizer effect can directly act on the leaf surface.
Maintenance: 4-5 plants are planted in each pot or directly cut, and the palm pillar is set in the middle of the pot to facilitate the upward growth of scindapsus. Importantly, maintenance pruning should be carried out in spring. If the whole plant or the lower part of your pot plant is defoliated due to freezing or other reasons in winter, half of the stem and vine of the plant can be cut short by 1 / 2, and the other half of the stem and vine can be cut short by 2 / 3 or 3 / 4, so that the new leaves growing under the cut can quickly cover the palm pillars.
- Robust growth: The roots of soil cultivation of scindapsus can continuously absorb nutrients from the soil, making the plant grow stronger.
- Grow faster: Compared with hydroponic scindapsus, the soil cultivation of scindapsus grows slower at the initial stage, but once the root system grows well, it will grow faster than hydroponic scindapsus.
There are more requirements for maintenance. It is necessary to master the dry and wet conditions of the soil. Because too much water is easy to rot the roots, and with little watering is easy to wilt leaves.
How to do
The hydroponics of scindapsus is not as complicated as soil cultivation, because the hydroponic scindapsus grows fast, and the cultivation and management of it are convenient.
- Choose the good branches and stems of scindapsus, healthy and strong branches and stems are good hydroponic objects, so that the branches and stems with aerial roots can quickly adapt to the hydroponic environment after being cut and placed in clear water. and the aquatic roots can grow in 15 to 20 days.
- Put the aerial roots into the water, and they can also play the role of nourishing roots and absorb water and nutrients.
- During the growth period, the special fertilizer for hydroponics is diluted and sprayed on the surface of the leaves to make the leaves look more
- The hydroponic scindapsus also needs to be pruned frequently to cut off the long and disordered branches and stems to maintain a neat appearance.
- The hydroponic scindapsus roots fast.
- Clean and hygienic: Because there is no need for soil, only water, so it is clean and hygienic.
- Convenient care: The soil-cultured green sills should be watered in time, while the hydroponic green sills are relatively easy. After normal growth, there is almost no need to change the water, just add water every once in a while.
- Slow growth in the later stage: Although the rooting speed of hydroponics is faster than that of soil cultivation in the early stage, the growth speed of hydroponics is slow due to insufficient nutrition in the later stage, even if the nutrient solution is added, it is still not as good as that of soil cultivation.
- Tender growth: Due to the different growth conditions, the hydroponic scindapsus looks more tender,the color is relatively light, and without the feeling of vigorous growth.
Now, do you understand hydroponics and soil cultivation? According to the situation of your plants, choose the cultivation method that suits them.